It’s Sunday. You have brunch on your mind.
Enter, this sandwich:
I’m a sucker for anything with a fried egg on top. Looks delicious, no?? And it’s even healthy– whole grains, veggies, healthy omega-3 fats, and lean protein.
Hungry? Let’s eat.
What you need:
4 Whole wheat sandwich thins
1 10-oz pack sliced mushrooms
2 Orange/yellow/red bell peppers
8 oz sliced turkey
Frank’s buffalo sauce
Dill pickle chips
4 large (or jumbo) eggs
Cooking spray/olive oil
What you do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Cut the two peppers in half and clean out the seeds. Place the four pepper halves face-up on the baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the are soft and start to get oven marks (char, roast) on them.
3. Remove the peppers from the baking sheet. Then, spread the mushrooms out on the sheet. Roast them in the oven until almost all of the liquid that they release while cooking has evaporated– about 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. Get the sandwich thins toasting. Also, spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and put over medium heat. Once the pan is warm, crack each of 4 eggs on the pan, keeping them as seperated as possible. Place a lid over the pan and let the eggs cook away! After about 3 minutes, the whites should be cooked and the center less liquidy (but still runny yolk).
Now, let’s assemble:
5. Start with the bottom of the sandwich thin. Layer the turkey onto each one. Then, top the turkey with a generous amount of Frank’s buffalo sauce (there is no right or wrong amount– however much you want! I like a lot..). Then place the pepper halves face-up on top of that (one half per sandwich). In the “bowl” of the face-up pepper halve, fill it with mushrooms. Top that with a layer of dill pickle chips and pickled jalapenos. Finally, carefully place an egg on top of all that. Finish with the top of the sandwich thin.
Warning: You will get messy eating this. But you won’t care because your mouth will be so happy.
Note: Next time, I’ll be adding bacon and avocado. NOM!