I love sriracha. On chicken, on eggs, on french fries, in hummus, in salad dressing, on hot dogs, on hamburgers, in bloody marys…you get the picture.
My recipe makes a lot– about 8-10 servings. Feel free to 1/2 it if you’d like to make a smaller amount.
Let’s get started.
First, some prep work. Dice up your peppers, slice your mushrooms, and roughly chop your broccoli and cauliflower.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Then, roast the veggies you just cut up, as well as a pack of cole slaw veggies (shredded cabbage & carrots) until they’re cooked and tender. The shredded veggies will take about 10 minutes; peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower will take about 15 minutes; mushrooms about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice up 2 shallots and a small onion. Toss those into a large frying pan with a swirl of olive oil.
Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add in your chicken breast.
Cook until the chicken is brown on all sides.
While that’s cooking, whisk together your sriracha, honey, and lime juice. Add that in with your chicken and onions.
Simmer for about 5 minutes. Then, add in your peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, and cole slaw veggies.
Stir everything together and continue to cook it for about 5 more minutes, until everything is heated through and the sauce has thickened a bit. Stir it a few times while it’s cooking.
While that’s happening, cook your couscous. I buy whole wheat couscous (from Trader Joe’s). It’s high in protein and fiber. And super easy & quick. And tasty. 🙂
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once it boils, add in 2 cups of dry couscous and a dash of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cover with a lid, remove from heat, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Now, your sriracha chicken should be done! Top it with some scallions if you’d like. If nothing else, the scallions make it look pretty 🙂
To serve, spoon some couscous onto a plate. Top it with a scoop of the chicken, veggies, & sauce. And ENJOY!
Sriracha Chicken with Assorted Veggies and Whole Wheat Couscous
Makes 8-10 servings.
3 red bell peppers, diced
1 package cole slaw mix (or just a bag of shredded cabbage)
1 package (10-12oz) broccoli and cauliflower heads, roughly chopped
1 10-oz packages of sliced mushrooms
1 small onion
2 lbs chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 cup sriracha
1/2 cup Honey
juice from 2 limes
2 cups whole wheat couscous
Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, to taste
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Roast your peppers, shredded cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms (on foil-lined baking sheets sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) until they’re cooked through. The shredded veggies will take about 10 minutes; peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower about 15, and mushrooms about 20.
2) Meanwhile, cook your diced shallots and onion in a large frying/saute pan with about a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in your chicken breast. Cook until the chicken is brown on all sides.
3) While the chicken is browning, whisk together the sriracha, honey, and lime juice. Add this to the chicken and onions.
4) Simmer for about 5 minutes. Then, add in all of your cooked veggies. Stir everything together, and continue to simmer, uncovered, about another 5-7 minutes.
5) While that is simmering, bring 2 cups of water to a boil for your couscous. Once it’s boiling, add in the couscous and Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, to taste. Put a lid on the pot and immediately remove it form the heat. Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. It is finished when the water is fully absorbed.
6) Once everything in your pan is cooked through, and your couscous is cooked, you’re ready to eat!!
7) To serve, spoon couscous onto each plate. Then, top with a scoopful of the chicken, veggies, and sauce. Top with some sliced scallions, if desired. (I sprinkled the scallions over the whole skillet and then served it, but it probably would look best to actually garnish each plate individually after serving. Whichever you prefer.
Eat & enjoy!