Chocolate and peanut butter is a classic, timeless, winning combination. If you know me, you know it’s my favorite combo.
Remember the movie Parent Trap (the Lindsay Lohan version) when they (the two Lindsays) bond over sharing Oreos and peanut butter at camp?? I’m not sure if the peanut butter Oreo thing was big before that, but ever since I saw that movie, I was HOOKED on eating peanut butter on Oreos. If you haven’t tried it before, do yourself a favor and try it today. You’re welcome. MmMmm.
Anyway, let’s apply these key learnings to a baked good, shall we?
Enter– these super-moist, gooey, peanut butter brownies with crushed Oreos and chocolate chunks, topped with more crushed Oreos. There’s no way that can taste bad, right??
RIGHT!! I have a new favorite dessert. It’s these. And I’m excited to share them with you all!
OH I should also mention, as an added bonus, they are whole wheat! I’ve been baking almost exclusively with whole wheat flour lately. So far, zero cons. I actually think the nutty whole wheat flavor melds really well with the peanut butteryness. So, I’m not saying these are healthy, but hey why not have some whole grains?
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup peanut butter. I use smooth– crunchy would work too!
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
~ 2 cups crushed Oreos, divided (1 cup to mix into the batter and 1 cup to sprinkle on top)
1 cup chocolate chunks
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line and 13×9 inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Let it aside.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside.
3) Melt the butter in the microwave. While it’s still hot, whisk in the peanut butter. Add in the brown sugar and granulated sugar, mixing well.
4) Add in the eggs and the vanilla extract and whisk again until smooth.
5) Switch from the whisk to a rubber spatula and fold the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture. Gentle fold in until almost no more flour streaks remain. Add in the 1 cup of crushed Oreos and chocolate chunks.
6) Spread the batter into your prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the top and edges are just lightly browned.
7) When you take the pan out of the oven, immediately spread the remaining crushed Oreos on top and lightly press them into the bars.
8) Cool the pan on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled, cut into bars and boom!!
Omnomnom. These are great to share, whether that’s for your family, a potluck, the office, or any other type of gathering! I froze half and am bringing the other half to my soccer team this week. Perfect post-game treat amiright?!
If you’re not eating/serving them right away, store them in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!!