Throwing it back today with a CLASSIC – rice krispie treats!!
Remember when we were kids and rice krispie treats came in a blue wrapper, and somehow they were always SO perfectly marshmallowly gooey?
Or maybe your mom or dad would make them for you from scratch, OR even make them WITH you? My mom made them for us and was always so good at getting us involved. Even if it was just pouring the pre-measured rice krispies into the big bowl.
The Youthful Snack for All Ages
I know rice krispie treats are intended for kids. And they are totally a kid-friendly treat. But, aren’t they also a whole-family-favorite?! I love them. You love them. Who doesn’t love them?!
Maybe it’s the nostalgia and the excitement from having them as a kid that lives on inside us. Or maybe it’s that marshmallowy gooeyness that is unmatched.
Why not add Butterfingers!?
RIGHT?!? I was trying to think of how to easily, deliciously add a twist to make them a bit different from their classic selves. At first, I thought Reese’s. That
probably definitely would be DELISH, but I wanted something with a bit of a crunch…
and BING, it came to me. Butterfingers! They have that crunch that’ll go well with the crunch from the Krispies. Plus the chocolatiness to add, well…CHOCOLATE! 😀 It was a calculated gamble, and it paid off! Don’t you love when that happens?
The Ooey Gooey Secret
Want to know the secret to making your rice krispie treats extra marshallowy-gooey?!
Well, after you’ve melted the marshmallows and butter, and mixed them into the rice krispies, add in another 1-2 cups of marshmallows and stir them into the warm mixture! They will melt slightly as you mix them in, yet they’ll hold some of their marshalllow shape.
The result? The perrrrfect combination of completely melty gooeyness, and thicker gooeyness 😀 omg, I am drooling writing about this!!
Just 4 Ingredients!
Say whhat! Yessaaaa just 4 ingredients and less than 30 minutes, and you’ll be taking a big melt-in-your-mouth bite!!!
When you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment here & tag @thefetchingfoodie on Instagram! I’d love to see & share!
Makes about 24 generously sized bars. Cut larger or smaller depending on your preference!
8 cups rice krispies cereal
10 cups mini marshmallows, divided
8 Tablespoons butter – regular or vegan
About 20 mini Butterfingers, chopped
1) Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
2) Measure 8 cups of rice krispies into a large bowl. Set that aside.
3) Measure 8 cups of mini marshmallows and the 8 Tablespoons of butter into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heat-proof spatula, until the marshmallows and butter are completely melted.
4) Remove the butter-mallow mixture from the heat and immediately pour it over the rice krispies in the large bowl. Stir the mixture together. After a few stirs, add in the additional 2 cups of mini marshmallows. Keep stirring until the marshmallows are evenly combined.
5) Stir in the chopped Butterfingers (save some to sprinkle on top). Now you’ll have a beautiful, sticky mixture!
6) Spread the rice krispie *batter* into the parchment-lined pan. Press it into the pan and spread it as evenly as possible. Sprinkle additional Butterfinger pieces on top.
7) Allow the mixture to cool in the pan for at least an hour. When you’re ready to eat ’em, cut them into bars with a sharp knife. And finally, sink your teeth in & take a big ol’ bite!!
8) Store them in an airtight container. They’re best eaten within the first 3 days, but will totally be good for about a week.
Give some of these to the kids to bring to school with their lunch and/or share with the class. Make them for a potluck. Bring them to a cookout. Share with your co-workers. And save a few for yourself!
If not Butterfingers, what else would you like incorporated into your rice krispie treats?! HOLLA at me on Instagram, or comment below!!