1) They’re versatile. Chocolate chunk brownies? Peanut butter swirl brownies? Cheesecake brownies? There are so many ways to add a twist to the brownie batter.
2) They’re time-effective. Whip up the batter, add a swirl i.e. peanut butter if you desire, pour into your pan, pop in the oven. DONE. No extra steps, no forming into cookies, etc..they’re quick!
3) They’re great for groups. I bake (1) because I have a sweet tooth, but really (2) because I love to share my baking with other people. To be able to make a big batch of brownies and share the love makes me happy.
4) They’re AMAZING a la mode–when served warm and topped with vanilla/chocolate/oreo/any-type-of ice cream. Warm satisfying dessert topped with cool creamy (dairy-free) ice cream = my favorite type of dessert.
Given my latest efforts to make more dairy-free options, I wanted to make sure to have a luscious, completely satisfying, dairy-free brownie recipe. And this is it! Whether you’re dairy-free or not, these are absolutely irresistible, rich, moist, bold, chocolaty brownies..that conveniently happen to be dairy-free. 😀
Fun fact: Trader Joe’s Joe Joe cookies and Oreo cookies are VEGAN. Meaning they’re also dairy-free. I LOVE COOKIES ‘N’ CREAM ERRETHANG! The addition of the cookies adds the perfect burst of creamy crunchy-ness against the velvety smooth brownie.
This recipe can easily be made vegan as well– just make sure you’re using vegan-friendly versions of the ingredients (check the labels) and use a flax egg (3 Tablespoons of water mixed with 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal) instead of the regular egg, and PRESTO you have vegan cookies ‘n’ cream brownies.
Ok, my/your/our chocolate-sweet-tooth is calling! Answer. These:
Fudgy Cookies ‘n’ Cream Brownies!
Makes 1 8×8 inch pan of brownies. Serves 9-12 people.
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of your choosing)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg (or 1 flax egg, if vegan)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
~15 Oreos/Trader Joe’s Joe Joe’s, crushed, + more to sprinkle on top
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, almond milk, and sugar. Whisk-whisk-whisk well.
4) Add in the egg and vanilla. Whisk again until fully combined– about a minute. Embrace that arm workout!
5) Add in the sifted cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Switch to a rubber spatula if stirring with the whisk becomes challenging.
9) Cool the brownies on a cooling rack/hot pad. If you want to eat them warm and fresh from the oven, wait about 20 minutes before cutting into them, and serve. If you aren’t eating them right away, allow them to cool completely. Then cover them air-tight until you’re ready to have ’em!
Next up, I’ll work on variations of these…definitely a peanut butter version..stay tuned!