Ever find yourself with bananas that are starting to turn brown/black?
It happens to me pretttyyy often, hence all of the banana recipes (they’re perfect for baking)! When I am bake with bananas, 99% of the time what I make does not have butter or oil in it, making the treats healthier than the traditional baked good, yet still delicious & super moist!
Here I have 3 different recipes for you to peruse & try out!: Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Bars, Whole Wheat Banana Bread, and Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bars.
First up, Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Bars, made with 100% whole wheat flour, old fashioned oats, and applesauce in place of butter/oil!!
Second, Whole Wheat Fat Free Banana Bread!
I’ve made & posted this before, with and without chocolate chips! Head over to this post for more pictures & the recipe!!
It’s a wonderful, healthy, grab & go breakfast option!! Spread with a nut butter for added protein & healthy fat!!
And Finally, Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars!
This time though, I made them in bars for the 4th of July!! You can make anything festive with sprinkles, right?! 😉 Served to a bunch of friends– they were a hit!
The recipe is wonderful in all forms!! I think I like them best as bars. That way you can serve them to guests in the afternoon or evening without feeling like you’re serving a breakfast item! I don’t know that I’ve ever eaten the muffin or bread form of these for actual breakfast, but you certainly could! The whole wheat flour and peanut butter make them relatively substantial!
Next time you find yourself with black bananas, try out one of these recipes and let me know what you think!!
Whole Wheat Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Bars
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
3-4 medium/large bananas, mashed
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (you can use quick oats if you prefer/if that’s what you have!)
10 oz bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15×10 inch jelly-roll pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray (i.e. PAM).
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and brown sugar. Stir in Oats. Add all of the wet ingredients (applesauce, eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla) and fold into the dry ingredients. When only a few flour streaks remain, add and fold in the chocolate chips.
3) Spread the batter into the greased jelly-roll pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
I LOVE these warm from the oven (let cool a little before trying them though!)
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder (I know, it seems like a lot. You’re reading right though– 1 Tablespoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 2)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk (I used skim)
6-10oz chocolate chips (I use mini ones!)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3) In a separate large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugars, peanut butter, and banana. Stir until combined. Beat in eggs. Pour in milk and vanilla. Then, add the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
4) Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through (the center should spring back when pressed lightly with your finger).
5) Cool on a wire rack. Feel free to cut them warm– the warm, gooey, peanut buttery, chocolaty, banana flavor is unreal!
I hope you enjoy baking 1, 2, or all of these recipes!!
Which one do you want to try first?!