Remember Take 5 Bars? That amazing candy with pretzel, peanut butter, peanuts, caramel, and chocolate? As a kid, on Halloween, when my siblings and I were done trick-or-treating, we would dump out all our candy onto the table and trade with each other. I would trade away basically any candy (except Reese’s) to get as many Take 5 candies as I could. MY FAVORITE. Hands down.
Well anyway, since childhood, I cannot seem to find them anywhere! Not CVS, not the grocery store, not Walgreens…
They are on amazon. But, I needed them in 1 night (for a friend’s birthday). And when all the convenience stores let me down, I thought HEY, let’s make ’em!
So…enter, these little bites of heaven.
The process is pretty simple– take a pretzel; spread it with peanut butter; top it with a rolo; melt in the oven; and smoosh (yes, smoosh) a peanut / some peanuts on top. Nom.
I’ll warn you now– they’re addicting. I made quite a few batches of these and brought them into work. They FLEW. Truly, you cannot eat just one…
After making the Take 5 version, I made all sorts of other variations. All of them had pretzel and peanut butter. Some were topped with Hershey’s kisses; some with Reese’s; some with Hershey’s hugs; some with Snickers…really the choices are endless. And I discovered m&ms as a topper, like this:
Those are the new mega peanut m&ms. They are pretty awesome.
There is no real measuring in this recipe. I didn’t measure the peanut butter and I’m honestly not sure how many of these I ended up making. But you can make as many or as few as you want.
And with that, let’s make ’em! I’ll write the recipe to make the Take 5-version, but feel free to use whatever chocolates you desire!
Take 5 Bites!
1 large bag of pretzels
Some peanut butter
1 bag of rolos
1 container of peanuts
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Open the bag of pretzels and lay out the pretzels in a single layer on the baking sheet. As you lay them out, spread each one with some peanut butter. I like to use square pretzels (pretzel snaps):
4) Now, place the baking sheet in the oven for about 3 minutes, just until the chocolate looks glossy (aka is melty).
5) Take the pan out of the oven. Immediately smoosh a peanut/peanuts on top of each one. Your fingers may get a little chocolaty during this part. I actually forgot to take a photo of them on the sheet, because after I washed the chocolate off my hands, I started eating the treats…
6) Assuming you aren’t eating them all right away (I didn’t eat them ALL, I swear), allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet. While they cool, the chocolate will re-harden.
7) When they are firm to the touch, you can store them all together in a tupperware. Like this…
Mine were pretty jumbled around…but I mean, that makes them even better…
The perfect salty sweet treat.
Hope you enjoy! What’s your favorite candy combo?