Looking for flavorful, balanced, crowd-pleasing recipes to cook for a complete Mexican-inspired dinner? I made dinner for a couple of friends this weekend.
See? There they are! And there is our deeelicious meal!
Starter: Guacamole with Baked Tortilla Chips
Entree: Chicken Taco Crisps
Dessert: My favorite brownie recipe + add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cayenne with the other dry ingredients. (Unfortunately, I ran out of time to make these this time. They’re delish though!)
Ready for recipes?
2 avocados, ripe (they should be slightly soft. If they are hard, they are not ripe yet.)
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you want it mild)
1/2 red onion, diced
1 medium-sized tomato, diced
2 cloves roasted garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
1) Cut the avocados in half, twist and separate. Take out the core. Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado from the skin and put into a blender. Add in the lime juice and garlic cloves. Blend until you have the consistency you desire. I made mine pretty smooth, but you could leave it chunkier if you wanted to. Put the mixer into a medium-sized bowl.
2) To the bowl, add the salt, cumin, and cayenne. Mix. Then add in the diced red onion and tomato. Stir until combined. Add in the cilantro and still until all incorporated.
3) Cover and place in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. I made mine a few hours in advance to allow the flavors to meld a bit. Serve with the baked tortilla chips, recipe follows!
Baked Tortilla Chips
8-10 tortillas, cut into 8 wedges, like a pizza (I used the reduced-carb whole wheat tortillas from Trader Joe’s. They come 10 per pack.)
Olive oil spray
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray with olive oil spray. Arrange the tortilla wedges in a single layer over the baking sheets. Spray again with olive oil spray, Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2) Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until just lightly browned. Enjoy with the guac!
Chicken Taco Crisps!
8 tortillas (again, I used the reduced-carb whole wheat tortillas from Trader Joe’s)
1 can fat-free re-fried beans
1 jalapeno pepper
1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
1/2 each of a red and green bell pepper
1 lb chicken breast, chopped small
Lime juice from 3 limes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 onion, diced
2 cups shredded cheese (I used lite mexican blend)
1) A few hours before cooking (or the day before), marinate the chicken: combine the lime juice, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepper (to taste), onion, and chicken in a glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil. Place the tortillas in a single layer on the pans. Put in the oven for 3 minutes. Flip them over, and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from oven.
3) In a medium-sized bowl, combined the re-fried beans, cilantro, and jalapeno. Set aside.
3) In a large skillet, cook the marinated chicken mixture. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
4) Assemble! Spread the re-fried bean mixture evenly onto each of the 8 tortillas. Next, divide the chicken and the bell peppers on each one. Finally, top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
5) Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes, or until heated through, tortillas are a light golden brown, and the cheese is bubbly.
6) Serve with salsa and guac!