Want to make a fun, tasty snack!?
I recently purchased a bread machine and I’ve been testing out different things to make with it. This time, I made pretzel dough in it! Nice soft, chewy pretzel bites!
The cheese-filled part didn’t work exactly as I had imagined. Next time, I will wrap the pretzel dough completely around the cheese so that it doesn’t oose out when the pretzels are boiled.
Oh, and they’re whole wheat, soft, slightly chewy, and BEST served warm!!
Cheese-filled Pretzel Bites!
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 T + 1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
3 cups bread flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup shredded cheese
6 cups water
4 tsp baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1. Put the first 5 ingredients into your bread machine and set it to the dough cycle.
2. Once the bread machine is done, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide it into 4 sections. Roll each section out into about a 12x4inch rectangle.
3. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup cheese along the long edge of the rectangle. Then, starting with the cheese end, roll the dough up into a long log. Slice it into 1-inch pieces. Repeat with the rest of the dough sections. Let all of the pieces rest for about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Stir in the baking soda. After the dough has rested for 30 minutes, boil a few at a time for 20 seconds, flipping them halfway through. Remove the bites from the water with slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel.
5. Transfer all of the boiled pretzel bites onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (or two). Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the coarse salt.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until they’re a nice brown color.
7. Brush the pretzels with melted butter if you want to, or just serve as-is!!
I bet you could make AWESOME larger-sized cheese-filled pretzels using this similar method too!