If I had my way, and it was nutritionally sound, I would probably eat breakfast foods for all meals of the day. Whether you’re looking for a sweet breakfast treat, a snack, or even a dessert, this coffee cake is sure to do the trick! Not too complicated, yet lovely and (I think) impressive-looking!
I brought this into work on a Friday– it was gone by lunch! I also like to make it whenever I have company or guests who stay at my place or who come over for breakfast.
A few tips that I’ve learned make this coffee cake go from good to great:
(1) Toast the pecans before using them. Heat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes. Watch them closely to make sure they don’t burn!
(2) If you have extra sour cream, feel free to through in an extra dollop– it’ll make it even MORE moist.
(3) Dust with powdered sugar before serving! Adds to the look and the taste!
Try it out and let me know what you think!
2 sticks butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
2 cups shelled pecans, toasted & chopped
1 T ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
powdered sugar to dust oven the cake at the end
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1-inch bundt pan and lightly dust inside with flour.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cream together the butter and 2 cups of the sugar. Add eggs, blending well, then the sour cream and vanilla.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, and mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
5. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ¾ cup sugar with pecans and cinnamon.
6. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the pecan mixture into the pan. Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan. Sprinkle with the rest of the pecan and sugar mixture. Add remaining batter and top and spread evenly.
7. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let cool in the pan about 10 minutes, then flip out onto a cooling rack.
9. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar.