Hellooo lovas! This is the week of L-O-V-E! With Valentine’s Day & Galentine’s Day on the horizon, I am very aware that chocolate treats are a must. Don’t you agree? I am here to fulfill all of your sweet treat desires!! <3
Who loooovesss red velvet?!? If yes, or if there is someone you love who loves red velvet, you’re in the PERFECT place!
A Special Treat
These red velvet cookies with their silky cream cheese frosting filling in the middle are special, thoughtful, and SO SCRUMPTIOUS!!
Anyway, back to these beauties.
Rach, Shouldn’t They Be More Red?
These red velvet sammies aren’t a bright red. They’re more of a dark deep, subtle red. Why? Because we use DARK CHOCOLATE COCOA powder instead of regular cocoa powder. That gives them an extra special, rich flavor. Plus I feel like the deeper color makes them more…romantic. Ya dig?
OH YEAH, THEY’RE VEGAN!
Whether you need them to be or not, these babies are VEGAN! I’m not vegan, but I like to bake vegan when I can. I’m lactose-intolerant so I try my darnedest to be dairy-free.
That said though, these aren’t good-for-a-vegan-cookie. They are at maximum amazingness, and ALSO are vegan-friendly. So, vegan or not, you want them. Promise.
If you ARENT vegan, you can use regular butter, eggs, and cream cheese. Personal preference really – the outcome will be equally delicious.
Show Your Love
Whether for your SO, your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, or yourself, these cookies are a must-make!
Let’s Get Started.
3 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder, sifted
3 teaspoons (1 Tablespoon) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons flaxseeds mixed with 6 Tablespoons water)
4 teaspoons red food coloring
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon almond milk
1 12oz bag (2 cups) chocolate chips (I use Wegman’s brand – they’re naturally vegan)
Cream Cheese Frosting Filling:
8oz vegan cream cheese
1 stick vegan butter
3 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer (or an electric hand mixer) beat together the 2 sticks vegan butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until lighter in color and creamy.
- Add in the 2 flax eggs, vanilla extract, red food coloring, and almond milk. Beat on a medium speed until fully incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer on the lowest speed, slowly mix in the flour mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. If the dough gets too thick, switch to hand mixing with a wooden spoon. #workoutwhileyoubake
- Using a cookie scoop (or two spoons) drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto your prepared baking sheets, leaving about an inch between each cookie. Press down the tops of the cookie balls slightly– it’ll help them to spread while baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until they look set and not wet on top.
- Cool them on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Optional: Try one warm!!!
- For the frosting: Using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until fully combined. Then slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar. Add in the vanilla and mix well. You’ll end up with silky smooth frosting.
- If you want to pipe the frosting onto the cookies, scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with your desired piping tip. Otherwise, you can just spread it on with a knife. Dollop the frosting onto the bottom of half of the cookies (the flat side). Top with another cookie, flat-side facing the frosting. Voila!
Your cookie sammies are READY! Dive right in there. Or, if you are serving/giving/eating them later, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!!!!! Happy Baking! <3