You guys, these vegan cheesecakes…OMG
I don’t even have that many words, you have to taste it to believe it, so I’ll keep this brief and get right to the recipe. I don’t have many pictures either. I’ll make ’em again for additional photos. But, I wanted to get the recipe out to you ASAP!
Smooth, creamy, peanut butter cheesecake atop a whole Oreo cookie, and finished with a rich chocolate ganache. Oh, and it’s all VEGAN!! Dairy-free! Gah!
I’m so excited to share this with you. Even if you don’t need to eat dairy-free or vegan, these are a delectable treat to be enjoyed by all.
Mini Vegan Peanut Butter Oreo Cheesecakes!
16 Oreo Cookies
1 cup cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours, then drained*
1 cup coconut cream**
dash of salt
1 8oz container vegan cream cheese – I use Trader Joe’s brand
2/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup cream peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 the lemon
1 cup coconut milk (full fat)
16 oz real good dark chocolate (check the ingredients to make sure it’s vegan, if needed. The best dark chocolate should be totally dairy-free.)
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Line muffin pans with cupcake liners. The foil liners work the best. Place 1 Oreo cookie in the bottom of each muffin cup. You’ll need about 16. Set the pans aside.
3) Into a food processor or high-speed blender, put all of the cheesecake ingredients. Yup, that’s right. Put ’em all in. Blend on high for a few minutes, until you have a completely smooth mixture. So easy!!
4) Using a big spoon, scoop batter into each muffin cup on top of each Oreo. Fill on up to the top of each muffin cup.
5) Bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the cheesecakes are a golden brown color.
6) In the meantime, make your ganache! Chop up your dark chocolate into small-ish chunks. Hershey-kiss size-ish is good. Put the chocolate into a large bowl.
7) Shake your can of coconut milk so that it’s all combined. If you don’t shake it, the cream will be at the top and the water will be at the bottom. In this case, we want it all mixed together.
8) Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring with a whisk frequently, until a thin skin starts to form on the surface, and you start to see bubbles below the surface. (You do not want a full boil.) Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate chunks. With a heat-proof spatula, slowly stir. The chocolate should be melting. Keep mixing until you have a smooth, creamy, rich chocolate ganache. Omg. It’s so good. Don’t worry, you can 1000% lick the spatula when we’re finished :-D. Plus, this will make way more ganache than you need for this recipe.
9) Once your cheesecakes are done, remove the pans from the oven and put on a hotpad or cooling rack. Scoop a spoonful of ganache over each cheesecake and spread the ganache in a thin (but generous) layer on top.
Work efficiently– the ganache will start to set and become less spreadable. Also, you will have lots of ganache left over! Pour it into a container, seal, and store in the fridge. Use as an ice cream topping, or other recipe, or…eat with a spoon……
10) Allow the cheesecakes-topped-with-ganache to cool completely in the pan. Once they’re cooled, remove them from the pan. Place the cheesecakes into an airtight container and refrigerate them for at least 2 hours before serving. If you used foil liners, you’ll be able to easily peel off the liners if you would like to for easy eating/serving.
See those layers!? Oreo, pb cheesecake, rich ganache. My mouth is watering!! You too?! Let me know how your baking goes in the comments!!
*To soften the cashews, put them in a bowl and cover them completely with water. Allow them to sit for 4-6 hours. Drain them. Dry them. And now they’re ready to use for the recipe!
**I buy two cans of coconut milk. Put them in the fridge the day before you want to bake this recipe. This’ll cause the milk to separate– with the cream rising to the top. On the next day– baking day– scoop the cream off the top. I buy Trader Joe’s cans of coconut milk, and use the cream from 2 cans.