Cookies – check!
Ice Cream – check!
Booze – check!
Less then 15 bucks? Um, you don’t have to tell me twice!
Going into this event, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I am very glad I went! Lots of cookies to sample and unique ice cream flavors to taste.
What was there? Here’s the run down:
All of the cookies were delicious, of course, but some were particularly outstanding.
My Top 5 Favs:
1) Teaism, Chocolate Salty Oat Cookie
All of the salty oat cookies from here are hearty, satisfying, and full of flavor. The chocolate ones are my favorite because, well, I’m a self-proclaimed chocoholic.
2) The Blind Dog Cafe, Blueberry Maple Bacon Cookie
This was definitely the most unique cookie at the event. You could taste the slightly salty and rich bacon, the touch of maple sweetness, and the fruitiness of the blueberry. It was unlike anything I’ve ever had and was incredibly tasty.
3) Uncle Chip, Chocolate Chip
Uncle Chip and Captain Cookie tie for best chocolate chip cookie of the day for me. Slightly crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and full of chocolate.
4) Captain Cookie, Chocolate Chip
I have always been a loyal Captain Cookie fan. I’ve tried to replicate these chocolate chip cookies and I admit I have yet to figure out how to make an equally perfect chocolate chip cookie. They’re really that good.
5) Whisked, Turtle Bar and Pretzel Cowboy
It’s pretty well known that my favorite cookies are those that have lots of different add-ins. Turtle bar (a shortbread cookie with caramel, chocolate, and walnuts) and pretzel cowboy (an oatmeal cookie with pretzels, chocolate chips, and cranberries) are right up my ally. Lots of different flavors, all that go so well together. YUM!
The best ice cream was Dolci Gelati. So technically, not ice cream, but rather gelato. Super creamy, awesome flavors like cookies n cream and chocolate covered pretzel. They even had mini sugar cones and do-it-yourself toppings so you could concoct the perfect cool treat.
We certainly enjoyed it!!
I do have two comments:
1) I wish there were more people with ice cream cookie sandwiches. The only vendor giving them out was Farmers Fishers Bakers– chocolate cookies with mint ice cream. The chocolate cookies were rich and soft, and the mint ice cream in the middle was homemade and fresh. I believe a few other folks were selling ice cream cookie sandwiches, which was fine. It’s just a bit odd (in my opinion) that those vendors wouldn’t just pass them out, since this was a cookie and ice cream event. Props to FFB, you did it right.
2) The event description made it sound like brunch cocktails would be included in the ticket purchase price; however, once at the event, my friends and I discovered that there were only complimentary beer samples, and the cocktails had to be purchased. While this isn’t surprising given the ticket price, the wording was pretty misleading. I see now that those words have now actually been removed from the event details. I would guess this was a change of plans on there part, just a bit disappointing when it was something we had been expecting.
Now, on to the competition!
There was an amateur cookie competition, as well as a competition among all of the vendors in attendance.
I believe there were 6 people competing in the amateur cookie contest, including yours truly 🙂
I made Dark Chocolate Cabernet Cookies. Yep, that’s right, a chocolate wine cookie. They are soft, unique, flavorful, and just the right amount of sweet.
Here were the judges. It was pretty informal. Ultimately I did not win, but it was fun all the same!
Then, there was the vendor cookie competition!
The Blind Dog Cafe won!! Man, that Blueberry Maple Bacon Cookies was so good. They totally deserved it. Most unique cookie for sure.
This event was awesome. There were plenty of cookies and ice cream to go around, from classics like chocolate chip cookies and vanilla custard, to the blueberry maple bacon cookies and chocolate cover pretzel gelato.
I can’t wait for the next BYT event, and will definitely attend their cookies and cream event next year.
Do I have you cravin’ cookies? What’s your fav???