Happy Sunday y’all! I hope you’ve had a relaxing & fun weekend.
I don’t know about you, but I like to keep Sundays chill. They’re for sleeping in, cooking, and, of course this time of year, football! Ok ok, I’m not a die-hard football fan, but I do love spending the day with friends, relaxing watching the game (whichever you may choose….but the Patriots if you want to go for a winning team 🙂 ) and, eating wings!
Technically what you see here aren’t wings, they’re drumsticks. I love wings, but I have a hard time actually finding them in the store. So I decided to try these chicken legs. Oh man, they rock! I buy them from Trader Joe’s. They’re $1.49 per pound (or $1.99 per pound for organic) and oh-so-meaty! I’ve made these a few times over the past….week. And I’ve officially dubbed them a favorite that has earned a spot on my weekly meal planning.
The recipe is pretty versatile. You can use whatever your favorite sauce is. I’ve done them with Frank’s buffalo sauce, Harris Teeter brand mustard Carolina BBQ sauce, Trader Joe’s Korean BBQ sauce, and Trader Joe’s sriracha and garlic BBQ sauce (which is what you see here). All have turned out finger-lickin’-good.
My Sunday drummies are about to come out of the oven, so let’s get cookin’ shall we?
Serves about 4-6 people
About 3 pounds chicken legs
1/3 cup flour
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 salt pepper
^ feel free to adjust these seasonings to your taste. I typically don’t measure them
Your favorite sauce/sauces
1) Combine the flour, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper in a gallon-sized zip-loc bag. Add in the chicken legs (it’ll probably be about 10-12 legs). Seal the bag. Shake the flour mixture and chicken legs all together so that the drummies are all coated with the flour and spices. Lay the bag flat and put it in the fridge for an hour (or up to overnight).
2) About 20 minutes before you’re ready to cook, take the chicken-bag out of the fridge. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
3) Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the chicken legs out on the pan. They can be close together, but should not be touching.
4) Bake them in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, flip each one over. Spread your sauce onto the now-up-ward-facing-side of the chicken legs.
5) Return the sauced legs to the oven for another 15 minutes. Then flip the legs again and spread sauce onto the new upward-facing side. Bake them back in the oven for 5 minutes longer.
6) When the juices run clear and your chicken has no pink-color left, they’re ready! Add additional sauce when your serve them/eat them, if you’d like. If you’re me, the messier, the better!!
And that’s it! You now have a go-to chicken leg (or wing) recipe. Great to make for yourself, or for a group of people.